Friday, March 03, 2006

My amazing lunch hour

It has just been a most spectacular day. Well, actually spectacular lunch break. It all started like this..

I had arranged for a pizza lunch amongst a few of my colleagues at 12.30pm, so as the hour drew nearer, I started to hallucinate those lovely Rocky Master pizzas. Bradley, the Londoner sitting next to me, suddenly called my attention to an email on his screen,"Hey Daniel, would you want some free tickets to go see the world cup?" I was thinking to myself,"Hmm.. free tix to go fly and see the world cup. Who wouldn't want it?" Turns out he was talking about the email he had received, where someone was issuing 45 free tickets to Credit Suisse employers to see the World Cup TROPHY displayed in Singapore during the stopover for its World Tour. He quickly forwarded the email to me and zipped off for lunch at 12pm.

I took a look at the email and started weighing between 1) My palatable pizzas or 2) A slim chance of getting tickets to see the world cup. The person issuing the tix would only be there at 1pm sharp (dun ask me why). I consulted the remnant of my pizza gang, who didn't really mind eating anywhere. So I rang up the gang Bradley was with, and joined them for a quick lunch at ThaiExpress (yes, I know.. don't remind me of my vietnamese beehoon). By the time we settled the bill, it was 1pm. TOgether with Bradley, we dashed our way to Suntec and arrived at 1.15pm! Suddenly, we started asking each other,"Err.. who do we meet? Where're we meeting?" Turns out NON of us knew ANY details whatsoever, except first name of the person who sent the email (Catherine) and the time to meet (1pm, which was sooo past).

Since we made the trip there, we might as well TRY. Taking the escalator up to the exhibition, Bradley calculated a 2% chance we might be able to get in. We saw a queue outside the door and decided to try out luck and "bluff" our way in. From the corner of my eye, I spotted something. A credit suisse employee card! So I went up to the person and asked if there were any more tickets.

"Oh, the person who was issuing tickets has left"

Arghh.. what a let down.

"Wait, I call my friend see if there are extra tickets."

Hmm.. a slight chance. Friend comes out..

"Ya, I've got 2 tickets extra"

WHAT?! Oh no, but there are 4 of us. Suddenly, another friend pops out..

"I've got another 2 tickets extra"

UNBELIEVABLE! It's really like what Morpheus said in Matrix 2: "I see providence.." Wahaha. We were thrilled, and like happy bees in summer we quickly found our place amidst the football exhibitions. Taking a quick walk to the end, we soon found ourselves in a 3D short presentation by FIFA which was waaaaaaaayyyy COOL! It used polarized 3D glasses instead of your normal pathetic red and green ones. We were led outside to a long queue line and we finally got a glimpse of the WORLD CUP TROPHY! It's the REAL THING! The very thing Ronaldo and Maldini kissed a few years back! Very soon we realized what the queue was for.. to take pictures with the World Cup. As we approached the end of the queue, we asked the attendant,"Err.. how much is it to take a picture with the Cup?" To which he promptly replied,"Oh it's free." Our jaws dropped and eyes popped. They would take photos for us with the trophy and give it to us FREE?!?!

I went back to office a very very very happy man. Not so much cos I got to see the World Cup, well that's one. But I think it's amazing how God just spiced up my day with a seemingly impossible short 1 hour like that. It's truely a once in a lifetime experience, with the World Cup included of cos. :)

Not very crowded yet. But lots of activity going on

Bradley taking a quick look at some football clips

My godsend ticket. Most amazing

Freebies!!

My photo with the World Cup. Wish I could touch it.. haha

Oh, since it was such a happy day. Let me end off with a view of the window (and photocopier) from my desk! :))))))

No comments: