Thursday, December 29, 2005

Staying With It

Once again, thank you to Joey for showing me the excerpt from today's article in "Our Journey", similar to Daily Bread devotional material. I'm greatly blest, and I really can't thank you enough. I'll highlight the important lines in red.

-------------------------------------
1 Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. Hebrews 12:1-3

A few years ago my daughter Libby ran the Chicago Marathon. I was so proud of her for training and staying with it. Needless to say, my wife Martie and I showed up to cheer her along and meet her at the finish line with camera flashing and flowers in hand. Watching her run kindled my interest in marathons—those massive, grueling 26.2-mile endurance tests. As I took in the event that day, I noted that friends along the way threw towels to the runners and gave them cups of water to drink. It became apparent that companions were essential to the runners’ success.

It’s like that with perseverance. You can’t run the marathon of life without it. Especially in difficult times.

It’s no wonder that the author of Hebrews wrote to his readers, who were under severe pressure: “Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us” (12:1). The race marked out for them was like an obstacle course. It required that they run in spite of rejection, loss of friends, economic difficulty, and daily persecution. Perseverance would need to be their indispensable companion.

In the original Greek language, the word perseverance literally means “to remain under.” Perseverance is the ability to stay under the pressure of our difficulty with a steady spirit until God has finished his work.
We usually want to squirm out from under the pressure . . . to be done . . . to hurry the sunshine.

But God intends that in time we will blossom under pressure. We can imitate Jesus, “the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God” (v.2).

Perseverance gives God time to do his work and prepares us for the future.

Joe Stowell www.rbc.org —Joe Stowell www.rbc.org

Seeking: Father, how have you encouraged me to remain under your wisdom and power today? What are you asking me to do?

Responding: What are the pressure points in my life right now? • What will I do to persevere through these challenges? • How will I reach out to God and seek his strength?

"Father, life can be so difficult at times. Teach me to persevere in your strength and not my own. Please show me the way to a resilient faith that will not buckle or fade away."

Following: Perseverance leads to a deeper faith in God.


-------------------------------------
I like this.. perseverance in Greek literally means "to remain under", until God finishes with us.. so leave me alone stupid cupid!

No comments: