Monday, July 21, 2008

New York - Day 2

I guess I didn't fully understand the full definition of jet lag when I wrote the previous entry. I couldn't sleep the entire night, ended up tossing and turning, thinking about things. But time zipped really fast as I found myself going to and fro the laptop looking for ppl to chat with. Ended chatting from 4.30am til 7am thereabouts and tried to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, it was back to the cycle of tossing and turning and thinking til 8.30am before I could finally enter teletubbie land. Woke up at 11.30am, feeling lethargic, and almost ready to give up the day plans to Time Square. But finally decided at 12.30pm to go ahead with it, by the grace and strength of God! Haha, had to commit the day to the Lord!

So packed with my large Nikon DSLR and not-so-compact Fuji Finepix, I was already to venture Midtown New York, to seek out Time Square towards the North! But first, a quick trip South (200m only la) to the Credit Suisse building. Too curious, so can't help it. Took a quick pic and headed to the subway up north. LiBin, my colleague who stayed in New York, recommended a couple of food stops and I had systematically categorized them according to districts. Today's trip to Time Square could accommodate two of these food joints. Quality Meats was one of them, but when I got there I found out they are closed on Sundays!! Norma was another one and I got there they had just stopped taking names for waitlist (i.e. they're closing)!! So no quality foood today, so sad. Ended eating at Starbucks. But the frappuccino was marvellous (mint mocha chip) but the turkey sandwich was so-so. Nonetheless I got to see a bit of Central Park, walk A LOT along 5, 6, 7th ave. There was this funky annual 3rd Sunday of July closure of part of 7th ave for street sales. It was cool and I had some extra food and lemonade there. The weather was killing me! Next stop, Museum of Modern Arts (MoMA)..

Busy streets of 5th Ave

Bazaar along 7th Ave. Time square is, by now, not too far in front.

I didn't know nuts about this place, all I knew was YiLin Yoshimura-san had recommended this place, so I had better go. Haha. It costs $20 for adults to enter, so I queued obediently at the ticketing booth. Suddenly, a young lady walked up to me and asked if I was queueing for a ticket. I said "yes" and she handed me a free ticket, cos her company handed out staff tickets and she had extra!! I said thank you to her and also a big thank you to God for reminding me that He's looking out for me. So I spent 2.30-4.30pm viewing ALL the exhibits in the entire building. Some were sooooo goooooood, and amazing. Some were like "huh, like that also can ah?". Well it's art, so it's subjective. Haha. Anyway, after that, I travelled down 7th ave further until I hit Time Square at last!

My free ticket!

One of the many artistic exhibits in MoMA.

Central MoMA (interior)

Took a few photos at Time Square and was thinking to myself,"Hmm, that's about it eh?" Really nothing much to see unless you're into theatres or musicals I guess. But I saw some interesting things.. M&M's specialty shop and Hershey/Reeses shops!! Bought a few souvenirs there, not for myself of cos. (:

Time Square at last!!

Finally get to see Time Square. Haha.

M&M! They've so much merchandise in there. Monopoly, playing cards, frisbee, etc.

Hershey's and Reeses. Unfortunately, didn't go in cos I was carrying an M&M bag. Haha

Final stop of the day was an impromptu stop at Empire State Building. Hadn't planned to go there actually, but since I didn't feel like waiting for Time Square to get dark, I decided to stop over at Empire State Building to see what I could do there. It wasn't long before I queued up (again) for tickets to go up to the 86th floor observatory deck. Whilst I was walking towards the elevator on the 2nd floor, I decided to pick up the audio guide (kinda like a little portable speaker where a voice will introduce different views when you're up there). The audio, with the visual map costs $12. Or $8 for just the audio. I had actually just wanted the audio, but the kind man at the counter decided to give me the visual map souvenir free cos it was my first time to New York! Another gift from heaven! (: The view at the top was nice, a pity I couldnt wait out for sun set. It was about 7pm then, and it's about 9pm now at the time of writing and the sun has just completely set! The wind was strong, but much needed cos the weather is so hot here. I can't imagine doing this in winter, cos ppl can literally freeze with the winds up there.

South Manhattan. Can you see the green park in the middle? Just left of that, the shortest building, is Credit Suisse. And my hotel is just slightly below the park, towards us.

After all the day's excitement, and walking, finally decided to head back to the hotel. Decided to stop by a convenient store to store up some water for the week, some fruit bars and mint gum. Not hungry, probably cos of the remaining jet lag, but will pop some bars if I am! It's been a great day, but I'm anxious about tomorrow. It's going to be a packed week and I expect high stress this week.

God be with me. Still missing everyone.

Dan

No comments: