Thursday, August 11, 2005

23yrs 1day

I'm officially 23yrs and a day old! *clap clap* The years sure are catching on. I think I'm heading towards the path of old-folkiness quite smoothly, albeit steadily. The last time I did a quick check on myself, I realized I'm in the process of doing a lot of the stuff our grandparents could easily identify with.

1) Take care of other people's children.. For free!!
2) Colour hair to something more "youthful" looking
3) Washing clothes and find myself enjoying it
4) Trusting my own ironing skills (only)
5) Prefering to wear sandals, almost ALL the time
6) Inability to sleep in aircon rooms without morphing into an elephant
7) Sitting down for a cup of drink with old friends
8) Dislike reading, otherwise sleep inducing
9) Planning ahead was taboo.. (ok just kidding)
10) Telling people too much pepper induces hair loss (also kidding, or maybe not)

I thought about why people actually celebrated Birthdays and came to 2 conclusions. One being, you've had a happy year and are really thankful for it. So you celebrate and cross ur fingers to hope (or make a wish) that the next one will be equally wonderful. The second being, you've come to the realization that you ARE one year older, that brings you closer to erm, the day you would ultimately leave the face of the earth. So you celebrate like it's a good thing, to prevent that feeling of haplessness. Realizing that any other day you could have departed, but it wasn't within the last 1 year since your previous birthday. Hence you're feeling really thankful to God, and want to spend a special day with the people that presently means most to you, and that being your Birthday!! I reckon anyone of us might fit into either of the category, perhaps with a couple of twists here and there but birthdays are quite wonderful aren't they? :)

Well, I had 23 of those days of which barely a handful of them worth remembering. But it doesnt really matter, age is just a figure in the mind, it's how the heart really bubbles that counts in the end doesnt it? The best of each world would be maturity of a decade older, but the heart of a decade younger. Do I have that? Haha.. well, maybe my youths will know better.

A couple of interesting happenings recently. I've just read about 4 protesters (not protestants) strutting their stuff at the CPF building during lunch hour today. Funny.. Really funny. I mean how rare is that? Singapore having protesters? Quite impossible, and only 4? I think it's an absolute joke. I would have thought I was on Gotcha or Candid Camera if I were part of the folks queueing up at the CPF building. Okie, they were actually protesting about the government having a need to be more transparent and open with the usage of the funds of the people. You can clearly see the departments they're bad mouthing on the back of their shirts.

Funny fact one: It's been years since there was a "riot" in Singapore. Apparently, 12 riot police were activated for this HUGE riot, armed with helmets, knee-high protective gear and carrying shields and batons forming a phalanx. (Time to give those equipment a good dusting..)
Funny fact two: Among the 4 protesters were an office administrator and sister of an Opposition Leader, Chee Soon Juan. (How's that for an in-your-face?)
Funny fact three: The 4 protesters said they did not need a permit and staged their protest for about an hour. Well, under the law, any public protest of at least 5 people without a police permit is deemed illegal. (Wow, they sure know their math well!)
Source: Copyright © 2005AFP, Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Pte Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Anyway, I notice a trend somewhat of late. Hmm, I see the nicks on the MSN's (no names) reflecting a season of fruitless waiting, shattered dreams and broken-heartedness. And I see it mostly among guys, with the exception of a few girls. I'm guessing the situation with the guys are that they wait on for someone, and the wait goes on and on.. and on.. and on. I mean I've been through it myself, and I do think.. waiting is the hardest thing to do. Every pair has different situations and circumstances of course, so ladies please don't prod me with a "you don't understand Danny boy". I don't and probably won't 100%, and I'm sure there are reasons that the ladies don't feel they're ready. So guys, dun keep forcing the ladies to make a decision for you. Everything in it's season, and in God's time. Chances are, if she doesnt feel ready, then she REALLY isn't ready. What we need to do is to be gentlemenly and wait it out, or trust God has someone better in mind! So dun fret all you broken-hearties (especially the boys), but for the ladies, don't ignore or avoid the dudes. I think that's really really a hard pill for them to swallow, if it ever gets down. Unless of cos the guy is a complete jerk lah.. But I don't think any of my MSN contacts are. Well, okie maybe a couple of weirdos. Wahaha!

Then again, on the flip side of the coin, it ain't a time of gloom and doom for you lovebirds (I'm beginning to sound like some horoscope churning machine). I've just had 2 close friends getting attached (erm, not to each other) recently! Really really surprised for both couples. I guess the element of surprise comes in that I dunno either of their companions, but that's quite cool actually! Haha.. Congratulations on finding your true love dearies.

No comments: