Monday, August 08, 2005

Hefty Weekend

It had been quite an intense weekend, and an immensely tiring one it was. The grand finale of the TOTS committee was always a nationwide event aimed all out at raising funds for Charity. Well, this year we had planned for a couple of different programmes but we couldnt bring them to pass in the end for various reasons, one of which was commitment as we were all a student body with studies at hand anyway. But still it was all good in the end, as our event ended on the 7th August at Eastpoint.

Shalln't bore you all with the details but a couple of interesting highlights included celebrities such as Allan Wu (Wong Li Lin's husband), Evelyn Ng and Caroline Cheong (from Lightyears if u remember). Shaking hands with big Al made me learn one thing, the dude had sweaty palms!! Haha.. He was really charming and had a disarming smile, best yet he was really nice as a person. Evelyn and Caroline were really lively. They were suppose to be celebrity judges for our Dog Competition and it turned out they both loved dogs. Caroline, who was sick on that day, has 4 dogs, 1 cat and 3 kittens at home! Wa lao.. That's a zoo in there.

Another highlight was the special appearance of Lydia and Yunying, her winning partner from NUS Rhapsody 2004. They took the first 30mins of Saturday's stage, and sang a couple of hits. I didn't plan for it, but my programme IC had gotten them somehow and a pleasant surprise it was! It was great, and their biggest fan, Helena "Nana" Ho turned up to support them. She was really nice, bought quite a lot of Charity Tickets from me and even bought drinks for us.

Well, apart from the other normal Dancers, Singers and blablabla, there was really nothing else new for me. I had seen them come and go from our last year's event at Westmall. But this year was really specially tiring for me. No idea why, but I've got this HUGE headache towards the evening of both Sat and Sunday. It's really mentally tiring to make sure the programmes, people and event goes on smoothly, running through everything in my mind ahead of time. It was all good in the end.

I should think we did a superb job as a committee in the light of what happened in recent weeks. The NKF saga really made Charity Organisations hit a bad patch, with all donations being cut 30-40% on the average, some even met with violent objections and rejections. I myself had one with a comment such as,"Go take some money from NKF instead." And one of my committee members being retorted at with "SIAM LAH!". It really was very testing for us, and tiring as we gave it our best for our beneficiary, Club Rainbow Singapore. The venue was pretty bad this year, cos it was Eastpoint at Simei MRT. Anyone heard of it? Haha.. yeah some of our performers even got lost finding their way there. The crowd was relatively pathetic compared to last year's Westmall, which wasn't so spectacular either. We've had places like J8 and Marina Square prior to this venues. But still, the committee and helpers had pressed on and I'm quite proud that we've managed to sell the same number of tickets as the previous year despite the NKF saga and bad venue, it was really an awesome effort from everyone! Now that the event is over, our year of canvassing and planning had finally come to an end. A happy one? I hope so.. But it's a stone off my chest anyway.

As for now, hmm.. I've to figure out how to spend my short 1 day holiday. Gotta busy myself or I'll end up brooding. Happy National Day everyone! Haha.

No comments: