Saturday, August 20, 2005

God decides to bring Grandad home

Just returned from a funeral, yep my Grandad's funeral. I was half asleep this morning when my mom SMS'ed me at 7.23am. It's really rare my mom SMS'es me, so every message or call I get, I'm half prepared for bad news bout my Grandad. Well, today was the day afterall. Grandad passed away before 5am on Friday morning.

His passing was a peaceful one, a very peaceful one in fact, as I heard from my parents. My Grandma did a check on him at bout 5am in the morning and found him to have stopped breathing, but his body temperature was still warm, so we gathered his passing was about then. My Grandma informed my Auntie next door, and soon after my parents had arrived. My parents visited him on Thurs evening, and they knew Grandad's time was soon. They noticed his eyes had shriveled a bit and so did his tongue, plus he was getting pale. They prayed for him, spoke with him and gave him comfort, and he responded with a soft acknowledgement. Actually, Grandad knew he would pass on too. He told one of my cousins, Sheryl, that he saw 3 people next to his bed over the week, watching over him. He knew they were angels, and so now do we.

Grandad had been bed ridden for the last 3 months or so already, and it's been quite awhile now. It's actually quite miraculous that he had still 3 months from back then. The Doc had suggested pulling the plug to my Aunties and Uncles then, but they wanted him to be comfortable until the Lord says it's time. It's heart aching to see someone getting this old, weak and fragile, skinnier by the day. If it's this much for me as a grandchild, I really cant imagine how much more for my aunties and uncles. There are always one of those moments when everyone made a quiet prayer that the Lord would be merciful and give him peace sooner, just that no one made it public. I do wonder, what will it be like when I'm old and weak. Will I have nice filial children to take care of me? Or will it be a lonely late-life? Whatever the case for me, Grandad is certainly very fortunate. My aunties and uncles are really wonderful people, as with my cousins.

The funeral will be on til Tues morning, in Ang Mo Kio. The memorial service runned by COSB will be held on Sunday, 8pm. :)

No comments: