Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Thiago Marinho dos Santos

I was in Sydney for the Hillsong Conference about a month back, (wow has it been that long already) and I signed up for Compassion Australia. Basically a network that reaches out to the children stricken by poverty around the world, and funds their necessities through volunteers. I like what they use as a slogan, "Releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name". I'm not at all a rich dude, and it took me quite a hefty lot of courage to take up the challenge of sponsoring a child long term, which I did in the end. The slogan really helped me make up my mind in the end, it's more than just your average charity work! It's releasing children from the griefs and pitfalls of poverty, and funding them with godly materials, to bless them in Jesus' name! I've been involved in various charity works throughout my lifetime, but for Jesus' sake? This is a first and the most exciting I must say!

Now, let me introduce you to my sponsored child - Thiago Marinho dos Santos, a boy from Santo Amaro, Brazil. He's 6yrs old, going on 7 this year born on 7th Sept 1998. Thiago helps out at home by caring for animals, washing clothes and making beds. Whilst his mom stays at home, his father works as a poorly paid deliverer to provide for a family of 5 children. Thiago likes soccer (no surprises), biking and walking and his best subject in Primary school is Portuguese. Best yet, Thiago regularly participates in church activities!

I've written Thiago a letter over the weekend, and it should be sent to him on Compassion Australia's next wave of letters for the children. Can't wait to hear from him, and I've requested for some pictures by him as well! Thiago's picture quite cute eh? He looks a lot like me when I was his age actually. Haha.. but he wasn't smiling in this one, so I hope I'll get a happy Thiago sometime in the future.

Haha, but first I'll need to fix up a happy Daniel soon too. 10 months of waiting, 10 minutes of bluntness, 10 times the resolve needed. And all 10's to my own stupidity.

No comments: